Make sure to prepare your office for the 46th annual Earth Day on April 22, 2016. Earth Day is all about spreading awareness regarding troubling environmental issues and taking action in order to make a positive difference. Read more about Earth Day in Canada.
Don’t let it go unnoticed – every manager and business owner should take advantage of this event to get their employees involved in green initiatives. You don’t have to go out of your way by spending thousands of dollars or planning elaborated events. Continue reading below and we’ll show you how to spend Earth Day at the office without breaking the bank.
Doing business while keeping it green does not have to be an idealistic idea – you should know that making a difference in our environment happens in small, practical steps.
How to prepare for Earth Day at the office – 10 ideas your employees can actually implement:
1. Cut down on paper usage:
- Always print on both sides of the paper;
- Store information on electronic devices, rather than paper files. Use instead: USBs, portable hard drives or CD’s.
- Include a brief message under your email signature encouraging people to only print the email if necessary;
- Replace your printed marketing materials with USB’s or CD’s.
2. Your laptop/computer:
Save energy by setting your computer to go on stand-by or sleep mode while you’re at lunch and always turn it off at the end of the work day.
3. Your printer:
Recycle your printer cartridges or refill them, rather than throwing them in the garbage. Staples offers a great rewards program for every recycled cartridge.
4. Greener alternatives than driving to work:
- Ride the bike (if the weather allows);
- Take the bus;
- Telecommute when it’s not necessary to be at the office.
5. Replace standard light bulbs with LED
6. RECYCLE: Don’t just say it – Make it easy.
7. Cut down on plastic consumption by using a water cooler instead of water bottles
8. Recycle or donate old computer equipment and cellphones
9. Unplug unused electronics before heading out of the office
10. Turn off the lights when you leave the room and use daylight instead of light bulbs
Don’t forget to inspire others: share your Earth Day experience with your employees, clients and suppliers through a newsletter or social media!
Implement these 10 easy steps to prepare for Earth Day at the office. It can be as easy as turning off the lights or printing double sided. Change comes in small steps!
How are you celebrating Earth Day at the office this year?
Photos courtesy of and copyright (Jack Moreh,Eduard Tashtanbekov,Chance Agrella), Free Range Stock, www.freerangestock.com